Friday 22 April 2011

Halfway Point

So, 25 books down. I must say this is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. It's not that I can't keep up with the pace, it's because the library just doesn't have the selection I want.

Anyways, I took a brief break between Fables and Jack of Fables with Batman: Death and the City and Mysterius the Unfathomable. Death and the City, I have admittedly read before. It was ages ago however and my perspective has changed a bit since then. Batman now seems a bit too stale, I suppose. I might try reading some more in the future, but I didn't really enjoy it.

Now, Mysterius the Unfathomable on the other hand. WOW. I just grabbed it off the shelf in desperation and I am so glad I did. It's sort of like a way less pretentious version of Doctor Strange. This book does NOT take it's self too seriously.
It's basically about the adventures of a sorcerer (Mysterius himself) who, although his powers are completely legitimate, is a quite a con artist and just an all-around jerk. After acquiring a new assistant, Mysterius proceeds to trap a rich playboy's mind in Hell during a seance, help a cursed businessman, visit an alternate dimension straight out of the nightmares on Dr Suess and nearly die during a Satanic ritual at the "Blazing Man" festival. The art is just perfect, the caricature-like style really helps capture the absurdity of the situations happening in the book with a bit of a gritty feel. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about this book other than I'm having trouble finding out if there are others. There better be.

I since my last post, I have also completed the Jack of Fables books I managed to get a hold of, but that's a post for another time. Specifically tomorrow morning. Or at least not 11:16 PM. Anyways that concludes this post, I still have another book to finish before bed to fulfill the days quota. Goodnight moon, goodnight stars, goodnight readers (like anyone's reading to the end of my posts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment