Sunday 17 April 2011

12 Down, 38 More To Go

I have finished all the Fables comics I could get my hands on at short notice and let it be known, MY MIND HAS BEEN BLOWN. I enjoyed them all so much! I feel like I'm now as capable as I'll ever be of giving a summary of the series (thus far) so here it goes.

A quick warning though:


Basically every fairytale character (referred to as Fables) that's ever been written about lives in an alternate dimension, connected to our own. At least they DID until it was taken over by a mysterious enemy know as The Adversary . All the Fables who escaped the Homelands fled to our world, the Mundane realm, where a community for Fables was set up in New York. When joining Fabletown, one must sign the General Amnesty which lets Fables off from any crimes they committed back in the Homelands,which for example allows the Big Bad Wolf to be the town sheriff. The Fables fight back against the Adversary's armies and eventually discover that the armies are mainly comprised of wooden puppets. More importantly, the feared Adversary himself is nothing but carved wood, magicked to life.

After some more investigation, it's discovered the everyone is being controlled by Gepetto, the elderly woodcarver who carved Pinocchio. After lots of fighting and plot twists and deaths of beloved childhood story characters, Gepetto is defeated and signs the General Amnesty.

This is the end of book 11, and the end of the first main story arch. I, however, read the 12th book as well which begins a whole new arch and leaves me on the edge of my seat for the next book. All I know is that the new villain is a creepy pale guy wielding insanely powerful magic.Oh yes, and he withers people down to their skeletons then eats their teeth. 
The 12th book ends with the new villain (who I believe is named Mister Dark) disintegrating the spells holding together the building in Fabletown causing them all to collapse, and murdering a main character. Yikes.

This series is so packed with action, subplots, plot twists, doppelgangers, murder, magic and sleazery that even a 1000 word summary wouldn't do it justice. My suggestion is to just read the series, it's FANTASTIC. Trust me, I'm a doctor.


And so, onwards I go to my next series, Jack of the Fables, a spin-off of Fables featuring one of my least favourite characters. With luck it will exceed my low expectations. Thank you and goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. You're a doctor?! Knew it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty cool. Perhaps I will read this if I ever decide to read something besides manga.
    Doubt that's ever going to happen, though...

    ReplyDelete